Tuesday, July 5, 2011

NUKA glaze.

nuka glaze_photo: andrew widdis


It's cold, wet and incredibly windy today and getting dark early (4:30PM). Not even mid Winter yet and I'm counting the days to Spring.
I've been having the fireplaces going constantly; and so hot that a cleaned fireplace will still be hot enough to lite twigs (guess I can get that Scout badge now, don't even one match) without the need to use matches or lighter.
So I've had some ash to make a glaze with.

Recipe for Nuka glaze, cone 10 Oxidation.

Wood ash_33
Silica_33
Potash Feldspar_33

Water_same weight as dry ingredients.


Specifically my recipe:
Cone 10 Oxidation.
A mix of Eucalyptus (iron bark) and Ash tree ash_33
Silica_33
Potash Feldspar_33

Water_same weight as dry ingredients.

Note: Ash changes from tree to tree, and environment to environment: Basically a result of what it takes up from the ground around.

2 comments:

sophie said...

i love this glaze. It's got so much life to it

Eli Pastafangs said...

Really a beautiful glaze!! I might give it a try... :-)